Saturday, December 21, 2013

Finish it up Friday (a day late)

     I put the top together a few years ago but I wasn't able to get it quilted until this summer. I was going to finish up the binding right after it was quilted but I got busy with packing and the whole going to Africa thing.

     I had it sewn on and pinned in place but I didn't get it done till yesterday. Instead of doing it by hand, I decided to sew it on the machine. I think it turned out really nice. Especially since it started with some clearance fabric from Wal-mart, of all places.


Thursday, December 19, 2013

I am back!!

Back in July I left home for a deployment to Africa. It was a long couple months that were exciting and worth it, but I am back now and ready to share more of my work with the world :) I took one project with me so that I would not totally lose my mind with the lack of a sewing machine. It was a colorful elephant fabric with a handful of matching solid/prints to create an English Paper Pieced baby quilt. I hand cut all the hexagon and diamonds because in my rush to pack I forgot the original template that I had cut. The hand cut templates were not perfect and that shows a little in the way the pieces connect but I am happy with the way it turned out!

I had planned to have it finished before I got home but I over estimated the amount of time that I would be working on it. So the top was finished a few days ago and then I added the yellow boarder. I am going back and forth about the color of the backing because I want it to have the same amount of blue as pink since the baby it is intended for has only been known about for a few weeks and it will be a long time before we know the gender :)